There will be a new map tonight or tomorrow. It is not of LA. I am so burnt out on the LA map it’s not even funny. Also the map’s periphery needs serious retooling.
I’m seriously experimenting with getting some of my maps printed, like, professionally. We’ll see if anything comes of that.
A message for white/Western tankies/PRC apologists, because I’ve seen you around:
Hong Kong’s annual pro-democracy handover-anniversary rally was today. Judging from the pictures, there were a lot of colonial flags out, and I’m sure some of you are pointing to this as evidence the HK democracy/independence movement is vile and pro-Western-imperialist-decadence and the PRC’s actions in HK are morally and ethically unassailable. Several things to keep in mind:
- Please take your obsession with ideological purity and shove it.
- The People’s Republic of China is not communist. Any country with a McDonald’s in it is not communist. (Note to pedants: the contrapositive of this statement is true; the converse is not.)
- Saying that the People’s Republic of China so very badly wants an empire of its own (e.g. South China Sea, Taiwan) does not negate or diminish the long, long, long list of American/Western genocides, mass murders, and other assorted imperial unpleasantnesses. It’s the starving-children-in-Africa argument with Groucho glasses on.
- There are left-wing pro-Beijing people, there are right-wing pro-Beijing people. There are left-wing pro-democracy/independence people, there are right-wing pro-democracy/independence people. Politics in Hong Kong is split across different lines than they are in this/your country.
- This doesn’t mean that the xenophobic/nationalistic elements of the pro-democracy/independence faction can’t be criticized (they should, oh lord, they should), but attempting a one-to-one correspondence between an HK political faction and a political faction at home will result in gross and wildly inaccurate generalizations, every time.
- Unless you live there, there’s a pretty good chance I spent more time in Hong Kong than you.
- Xi Jinping will never have sex with you. Ever. Sorry.
As a reward for suffering through that, here’s the HK MTR station numbering map, slightly redrawn to reflect the system as it exists in 2017. On the house.