This was an attempt to create a future map of the Washington Metro, and in some respects, an update to this juicy bit of speculative goodness. (You could prob’ly tell, what with the purple streetcar lines, the brown circle line, & the Blue Line to Nat’l Harbor.) Other stuff:
- Airport Line is light green because Japan.
- Wishful thinking: extensions to Centreville, Fort Belvoir, and Fort Meade.
- Circle Line & express tracks in Arlington comes from WMATA’s long-term plan.
- Streetcar lines in the District all come from DDOT’s 37-mile long-term plan.
- Trains can terminate at Dulles Airport. I’m told there’s supposed to be a pocket track and yard just after that station.
I call this one an interesting failure for several reasons:
- Had a lot of trouble fitting everything into the diamond delineated by DC, Arlington, and Alexandria. In case it wasn’t obvious. You’ll notice the south end of the diamond’s been hacked off completely.
- Learned a lot about the limitations of this particular aesthetic, i.e. it’s great for simpler systems but not so great for really complex ones. Speaking of which…
- Including the DC Streetcar was probably a mistake, considering this map is supposed to help me go from Point A to Point B on the Metro. I only threw it in because I had the Purple Line and the Columbia Pike Streetcar, and I felt obligated.
Just something to ruminate on, and maybe a jumping-off point for a later exploration.